Borenius’ Capital Markets Practice Strengthened with Experienced Counsel
Ari Syrjäläinen solidifies Borenius’ leading position in the Finnish capital markets matters.
Borenius is pleased to announce that Ari Syrjäläinen has joined our Helsinki office as a counsel in the Capital Markets group. His practice focuses on equity and debt capital markets transactions, such as IPOs, rights offerings, tender offers and bond offerings. In addition, Ari has experience in derivatives agreements, domestic and EMTN bond issuances, and various regulatory matters related to banking, securities markets and publicly listed companies.
Ari joined us from one of the leading Finnish financial institutions, OP Corporate Bank (formerly Pohjola Bank), where he worked in multiple roles during his tenure. His most recent position was as a director and legal counsel in the bank’s capital markets group, and prior to that he headed the bank’s legal services function consisting of a team of 20 lawyers. He has also led the bank’s markets legal function, in which role he worked on many of the bank’s own bond programmes as well as on complex structured products for clients. Ari began his career at Nasdaq Helsinki, where he worked for several years advising issuers on listings and regulatory matters and preparing many securities markets initiatives and development projects.
“I’m excited to take on my new role as a counsel to the wide range of Borenius’ clients. I trust that my background gives me a broad insight into our clients’ legal needs –not only in terms of the core legal substance, but also of how the issuers, banks and other clients’ problems are turned into solutions and results”, says Ari.
“We are very pleased to add Ari’s unique investment banking expertise and broad knowledge of financial institutions to our team, which had yet another record year in 2016. We began 2016 having worked on 50% of Nasdaq Helsinki IPOs completed in 2015, and while we continued to work on landmark listings, we also advised on complex cross-border tender offers and accelerated bookbuildings in addition to many interesting bond mandates”, states Partner Juha Koponen, Head of Capital Markets practice at Borenius.
Certain highlights for Borenius Capital Markets Practice in 2016
- Chambers and Partners 2016 “Finnish Law Firm of the Year” award.
- The only Finnish firm to receive Tier 1 rankings in all four practice areas in the IFLR1000 research published in 2016 for Finland (including Capital Markets).
- The leading counsel in Finnish listings on Nasdaq Helsinki completed in 2016, measured by any key metric (aggregate offering size, volume or market cap).
Initial Public Offerings
- Borenius advised the joint global coordinators (Danske Bank and Morgan Stanley) and bookrunners (Nordea, JP Morgan and SEB) on the EUR 474.3 million Nasdaq Helsinki IPO of DNA Plc, which was the largest genuine IPO in Finland for a decade.
- Borenius advised the joint global coordinators (Deutsche Bank, Morgan Stanley and Nordea) and bookrunners and co-managers as Finnish counsel on the EUR 2.1 billion Nasdaq Copenhagen IPO of Nets A/S.
- Borenius advised Taaleri Plc when it transferred as the first company from First North Helsinki to Nasdaq Helsinki Main list.
- Borenius advised Siili Solutions Plc when it transferred as the second company from First North Helsinki to Nasdaq Helsinki Main and did a small primary offering in connection with the listing.
Public Tender Offers
- Borenius is advising Nasdaq Helsinki listed PKC Group Plc as target in connection with the EUR 547 million recommended tender offer by Motherson Sumi Systems Limited.
- Borenius advised CapMan Plc as offeror in connection with the completed EUR 118 million recommended tender offer of Norvestia Plc, a share exchange deal between two Nasdaq Helsinki listed companies.
- Borenius advised Madison Dearborn Partners as offeror in connection with the completed EUR 315 million recommended tender offer of Powerflute Plc, a Finnish company listed on London Stock Exchange’s AIM marketplace.
- Borenius advised Intera Partners Ltd on an accelerated book-building in the sell-down of its remaining stake in Consti Group Plc, which was listed in December 2015.
- Borenius advised Scanfil Plc on an accelerated book-building of its newly issued shares.
Debt Capital Markets
- Borenius advised Taaleri Plc on its EUR 70 million debt issuance programme and on the issuance of EUR 35 million notes under the programme.
- Borenius advised 4finance Holding S.A. as Finnish counsel on a EUR 100 million bond issuance and on a EUR 50 million tap issuance of the same bond.
- Borenius advised Citycon Corporation on its EUR 350 million Eurobond offering.
- Borenius advised Danske Bank Plc and the arrangers BNP Paribas and Danske Bank A/S on the EUR 10 billion EMTN and covered bond programme.
- Borenius advised Aspo Plc on its EUR 25 million hybrid bond.
- Borenius advised Handelsbanken on a EUR 50 million municipality bond issued by the city of Turku.
- Borenius advised Danske, Nordea and Pohjola as arrangers on SRV Plc’s EUR 45 million hybrid bond.