Asko advises on all aspects of competition law and public procurement as well as M&A transactions. He also provides advice on commercial agreements. Asko has extensive experience in competition law and public procurement proceedings before various authorities and courts including multi-jurisdictional merger control filings. He has advised numerous domestic and foreign clients in competition law and public procurement cases as well as in M&A transactions.
He has been referred to as one of the most recommended competition and public procurement experts in Finland in several international publications (Chambers Europe, Legal500).
Asko has working experience from the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Competition as well as from consultancy in questions related to EU’s media and telecommunications regulation in Brussels. Prior to joining Borenius, Asko worked for an international electronics contract manufacturer in Singapore and Hong Kong.
- EU & Competition
Chambers Europe | 2017
“Good overall knowledge in law.”
Chambers Europe | 2016
“Focused on merger certification, and very good in it.”
- Merger Control: Advised Danish Agro group companies in obtaining merger control approvals, with regard to the acquisitions of Hankkija, Muna Foods and Kymenlaakson Agrimarket.
- Compliance: Advised John Deere Forestry in competition law compliance/mock dawn raid training.
- Cartels: Advised Matkahuolto in an alleged cartel case.
- Public Procurement: Advised an US corporation (a Fortune 50 company) and Sagem Défence Sécurité, respectively, in the procurement processes of military equipment by the Finnish Defence Forces/Ministry of Defence.
- Partner, Borenius, 2012–
- Specialist Partner, Borenius, 2008–2012
- Senior Associate, Borenius, 2001–2007
- Associate, Borenius, 1999–2001
- Adviser, Elcoteq Network Corporation/Elcoteq Asia Ltd, Singapore and Hong Kong, 1998–1999
- Telecommunications Consultant, WRQ Consultants Ltd, Brussels, 1997
- Stagiaire, European Commission, DG Competition, Brussels, 1996–1997
- Bar Admission, 2001, Helsinki, Finland
- Master in Comparative and European Law, 1996, Maastricht University, the Netherlands
- Master of Laws, 1995, University of Turku, Finland
- Finnish, English, Swedish