Ilkka has worked over 20 years with antitrust and merger control matters. Ilkka has defended successfully the client against the Finnish Competition Authority’s first attempt (Digita/Yle/Telia) to prohibit the deal.
Ilkka advises companies and governmental agencies on competition and marketing law issues at national and EU level, including merger control, abuse of dominant position, cartels, state aid and public procurement. Ilkka also litigates on a regular basis before the Finnish Market Court and the European Commission.
Ilkka has advised numerous domestic and foreign clients on M&A transactions and cooperation arrangements. Important authority bodies, such as National Emergency Supply Agency have also been among his clients.
Prior to joining Borenius, Ilkka was a Local Partner at the Helsinki office of an international law firm and worked as the head of its competition law practice. Ilkka has also worked for the Merger Task Force of the European Commission, after which he worked for the Finnish Competition Authority preparing the entry into force of the domestic merger control.
Ilkka is the chairman of the Competition Law Expert Group of the Finnish Bar Association. He is currently also a member of the working group investigating changes to the current Competition Act which came into force in November 2011. The Ministry of Employment and Economy appointed the working group on 28 August 2015.
Ilkka heads the firm’s Competition & Public Procurement team.
EU & Competition
Chambers Europe | 2017
“A good knowledge in competition law and effective methods.”
Chambers Europe | 2016
“One of the leading experts in competition law. I think what I like is that he’s always very up to date and always carefully following developments in Finland and Europe.”
- EU & Competition
Who’s Who Legal
- Three victories in an automobile spare part cartel case for our client Arwidson: This was the first case in which the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority granted leniency to a whistle-blower. This was also the first time that a competitor challenged the leniency position. In addition, this was the first case in Finland in which a whistle-blower defended itself against cartel damage claims.
- Represented the Finnish Generic Pharmaceuticals Association by lobbying the Finnish legislators and the European Commission concerning the need to change the law on generic substitution. Our contribution saves tax-payers’ costs of EUR 85 million per year.
- Successfully represented the Finnish Ministry of Transport and Communications in the European Commission’s formal state aid investigation, regarding the liberalisation of the Finnish road construction market.
- Partner, Borenius, 2005–
- Local Partner, White & Case, 2002–2005
- Senior Associate, Roschier Holmberg, 1997–2002
- Research Officer, The Finnish Competition Authority, 1995–1997
- National Expert, The European Commission, Merger Task Force, Brussels, 1996
- Bar Admission, 1999, Helsinki, Finland
- Master of Laws, 1994, University of Turku, Finland
- Finnish, English