Annika has extensive experience in insolvency assignments, and she advises our clients on all questions related to insolvency law and distressed financing in addition to dispute resolution matters.
Annika joined Borenius in 2021, and before that she worked at the Office of the Bankruptcy Ombudsman. As a senior bankruptcy lawyer, Annika was in charge of supervising the administration of bankruptcy estates and restructuring proceedings.
Annika has also worked as an attorney at two other Finnish law firms where she specialised in insolvency law and dispute resolution. Annika is an approved mediator for the Finnish Bar Association, and she has been serving as one of the secretaries of the Finnish Bar Association’s Examination Committee since 2016.
Annika holds a Licentiate of Laws degree from the University of Helsinki, and her thesis was passed with distinction. Annika has also studied law at Stockholm University in Sweden.
IFLR Expert Guides: Rising Star
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- Senior Associate, Borenius, 2021–
- Senior Bankruptcy Lawyer, The Office of the Bankruptcy Ombudsman, 2016–2021
- Senior Associate, Krogerus, 2014–2016
- Attorney, Tölö & Co, 2013–2014
- Lawyer, Tölö & Co, 2009-2013
- Notary, District Court of Kanta-Häme, Finland, 2012–2013
- Senior Trainee, Castrén & Snellman, 2008
- Finnish Bar Admission, 2013–2016, 2021–
- Licentiate of Laws 2013, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Court training, 2013, District Court of Kanta-Häme, Finland
- Master of Laws, 2009, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Studies at Stockholm University, Sweden, 2008
- Finnish, English
Related references and news
- Borenius advised Davie on the purchase of the assets of Helsinki Shipyard
- New Rising Stars Selected by IFLR Expert Guides
- Borenius acted as the bankruptcy estate administrator in the bankruptcy proceedings of Norwegian OSM FI Oy and OSM Aviation Finland Oy
- Annika Smalén Appointed as Senior Associate