Asko advises on all aspects of competition law and public procurement as well as M&A transactions. He also provides advice on commercial agreements. Asko has extensive experience in competition law and public procurement proceedings before various authorities and courts including multi-jurisdictional merger control filings. He has advised numerous domestic and foreign clients in competition law and public procurement cases as well as in M&A transactions.
He has been referred to as one of the most recommended competition and public procurement experts in Finland in several international publications (Chambers Europe, The Legal 500).
Asko has working experience from the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Competition as well as from consultancy in questions related to EU’s media and telecommunications regulation in Brussels. Prior to joining Borenius, Asko worked for an international electronics contract manufacturer in Singapore and Hong Kong.
- EU & Competition
Chambers Europe | 2021
“He has a sharp mind and always pursues a practical approach.”
“He is easy to approach.”
Chambers Europe | 2020
“He has a broad understanding of complex competition law issues, he is very accessible and flexible. In my opinion, he is an experienced and skilled competition law expert.”
Chambers Europe | 2019
“He is quite seasoned and is a specialist lawyer there.”
Chambers Europe | 2018
“Skills, expertise, commitment and good overview on cases.”
The Legal 500
- EU and Competition – Key Lawyer
Who’s Who Legal
- Government Contracts
- Merger Control: Advised Morgan Stanley in obtaining merger control approval. Advised the parties to AVARN Security/Prevent 360 merger in obtaining merger control approval including the required divestment procedure.
- Compliance: Advised Stora Enso in competition law compliance/mock dawn raid training.
- Cartels: Advised Matkahuolto in a bus transport cartel case.
- Public Procurement: Advised Stadler Rail in the procurement processes of trams and locomotives; advised a US corporation (a Fortune 50 company) in the procurement process of military equipment by the Finnish Defence Forces.
- Partner, Borenius, 2012–
- Specialist Partner, Borenius, 2008–2012
- Senior Associate, Borenius, 2001–2007
- Associate, Borenius, 1999–2001
- Adviser, Elcoteq Network Corporation/Elcoteq Asia Ltd, Singapore and Hong Kong, 1998–1999
- Telecommunications Consultant, WRQ Consultants Ltd, Brussels, 1997
- Stagiaire, European Commission, DG Competition, Brussels, 1996–1997
- Bar Admission, 2001, Helsinki, Finland
- Master in Comparative and European Law, 1996, Maastricht University, the Netherlands
- Master of Laws, 1995, University of Turku, Finland
- Finnish, English, Swedish