Niklas is one of the most experienced mining attorneys in Finland. After serving for more than a decade in a diverse range of mining related advisory roles, Niklas brings to the table his unique insight into and understanding of the industry, helping prospectors and miners focus on what they do best.
In addition to public and private companies, Niklas’ clients include exploration and mining companies based in Finland and other mining jurisdictions, juniors and majors as well as funds that invest in natural resource projects. Niklas is appreciated in the industry for his in-depth knowledge of the minerals sector and his devotion to counseling his clients on and defending them in various mining law matters. He also advises our clients on infrastructure and industrial projects.
Niklas joined Borenius from the Finnish Ministry of Employment and the Economy where he served as a chief mining legislation specialist. He has also worked as a legal counsel at the Geological Survey of Finland and at the Finnish Mining Authority as a senior advisor.
- Counsel, Borenius, 2022–
- Counsel, Kalliolaw Attorneys, 2021–2022
- Chief Specialist, Ministry of Employment and the Economy, 2020–2021
- Senior Associate, Borenius, 2019–2020
- Associate, Borenius, 2016–2019
- Legal Counsel, Geological Survey of Finland, 2014–2016
- Senior Advisor, Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency, 2011–2013
- Recognition of studies completed abroad as comparable to a Master of Laws degree completed in Finland, 2011, Finnish National Board of Education
- Master of Laws, 2009, Stockholm University, Sweden
- Bachelor of Arts, 2008, International University Audentes, Estonia
- Finnish, English
- Finnish Bar Association
- Finnish Society for Environmental Law
- Finnish Association of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers
- The Finnish Corporate Responsibility Law Association
Related references and news
- Borenius successfully represented Agnico Eagle in two precedent-setting environmental permit cases before the Supreme Administrative Court
- UPDATE: Amendments to the Mining Act to Enter into Force in June 2023
- Borenius advised Endomines on a change of domicile from Sweden to Finland, its listing on Nasdaq Helsinki, and an EUR 13 million IPO-style offering
- Government Proposes Amendments to the 2011 Mining Act – What Will Be Reformed?
- Niklas Vartiainen Appointed as Counsel