Ulla advises on international trade and on all aspects of international maritime and transport law as well as on a wide range of insurance matters. She is also experienced in issues related to shipbuilding and ship purchases. Ulla frequently litigates before courts and arbitral tribunals.
Prior to joining Borenius, Ulla was a Partner at Aminoff & Weissenberg, Attorneys Ltd. She has worked with legal matters in the shipping industry since 1994.
Ulla is a member of the Finnish Maritime Law Association (CMI) (member of the board of directors since 2014), the International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA Vice-President of the Transport Law Commission 2006-2009), Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association in Finland (WISTA Ry) (member of the board of directors 2007-2013, chair 2009-2013), Legal Society in Finland, Finnish Arbitration Association, Group of Experts of Transport and Traffic Law of the Finnish Bar Association (2013-2015) and Finnish Lifeboat Institution (member of the board of directors since 2014).
Ulla heads the firm’s Shipping, Transport & Insurance team.
ILO’s Client Choice Awards 2017
- Exclusive winner of the Client Choice Award in the Shipping & Transport Category for Finland
Chambers Europe | 2018
“Great problem-solving skills.”
“Always reliable, effective and service-minded.”
Chambers Europe | 2017
“Her legal opinions are always very clear and she communicates well. She is a very hands-on type of lawyer and also understands clients’ business needs.”
“Very skilled and experienced litigator.”
Chambers Europe | 2016
“Very experienced attorney in transportation law.”
Chambers Europe | 2015
“She provides tailor-made advice and is a tenacious litigator. She has great strategic sense and is very commercial.”
- Maritime, Shipping & Transportation
Legal 500 | 2017
“One of the top maritime law experts in Finland.”
Who’s Who Legal
- Advised a Finnish shipowner in drafting a shipbuilding contract and assisted the client with warranty claims, as well as with legal proceedings after the delivery of the vessel.
- Advised Pohjola Vakuutus Oy, in respect of legal proceedings, relating to a collision between two cargo vessels in an ice channel.
- Advised several global carriers in international arbitral proceedings, relating to damage to cargo.
- Advised a client in international ICC arbitral proceedings, relating to a commercial dispute in shipbuilding.
- Partner, Borenius, 2012–
- Specialist Partner, Borenius, 2009–2011
- Partner, Aminoff & Weissenberg Attorneys, 2003–2009
- Associate, Jan Aminoff Attorneys, 1998–2003
- Associate, Roschier–Holmberg & Waselius Attorneys, 1997–1998
- Crew Manager, Baltic Crew International, 1994–1997
- Bar Admission, 2000, Helsinki, Finland
- Master of Laws, 1996, University of Turku, Finland
- Finnish, English, Swedish