Juha is a dual-qualified (Finland and New York) transactional lawyer who focuses his practice on capital markets, M&A and private equity transactions. He has advised issuers and underwriters on public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, including IPOs, high-yield debt offerings, convertible debt issuances and rights offerings. He has also advised bidders and target companies on tender offers.
He has significant experience in public and private mergers and acquisitions, especially in the cross-border context. He has also advised on many venture capital investments.
Prior to joining Borenius, Juha was a Partner with another major Finnish law firm. His prior experience includes working as an Associate at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP for three years (New York and London) and as a Corporate Legal Counsel at Nokia Corporation focusing on securities regulation.
Chambers Europe & Global
- Capital Markets
- Capital Markets (USA – Expert Based Abroad)
- Banking and Finance (USA – Foreign Expert)
Chambers Europe | 2017
“He has sound technical knowledge, not just about the Finnish and European legal framework but also about the US system. He is an exceptional lawyer with a clear, commercial drive and is an easy and effective person to work with.”
Chambers Europe | 2016
“Juha Koponen is appreciated by clients for his “nice attitude, commercial angle and business acumen,” and is further described as “down to earth, helpful and driven.” His expertise covers IPOs, high-yield bond issuances and capital markets issues linked to public M&A mandates. Sources say: “He very quickly knew and understood what we needed and was able to walk us through each of the various elements.”
Chambers Global | 2017
“Is a go-to for issuance and securities advice.”
“Always willing to go the extra mile for the client.”
- Capital Markets, Private Equity
Legal 500 | 2015
“Is able to explain complex legal framework in very clear terms.”
- Capital markets, Private equity
IFLR1000 | 2018
“Juha is a terrific attorney. He is always accessible and very responsive. He gives very practical, commercial advice and has the internal resources to augment areas outside his particular expertise.”
“Excellent work, totally available, amazing understanding of the market. I have worked with many lawyers at the firm and have always been impressed.”
IFLR1000 | 2017
“Excellent work and very good attitude.”
“Juha is an excellent lawyer and nice person to work with. I would believe that almost everyone will find working with Juha both professional and easy.”
IFLR1000 | 2016
“Juha is strong on capital markets related matters and has the right touch to people to get things done. Our IPO project was very successful one and in my view Juha did great work to get everything in order on time.”
“Juha is fantastic lawyer. Solution-oriented, he was on top of all of the issues.”
- Capital Markets
- Advised Carnegie, Morgan Stanley, and SEB as joint global coordinators and joint bookrunners – as well as Jefferies and OP as joint bookrunners – on the EUR 876 million Nasdaq Helsinki IPO of Terveystalo Oyj, which is the second largest Finnish IPO ever (2017).
- Advised Danske Bank and Morgan Stanley as joint global coordinators, and JP Morgan, Nordea and SEB as bookrunners on the EUR 474.3 million Nasdaq Helsinki IPO of DNA Oyj (2016).
- Advised Madison Dearborn Partners on the EUR 315 million public takeover of Powerflute Oyj, a Finnish company listed on London Stock Exchange’s AIM marketplace (2016).
- Advised 50% of the issuers listed on Nasdaq Helsinki in 2015 (Detection Technology Plc, Robit Plc, Talenom Plc, Elite Varainhoito Plc, Evli Bank Plc and Consti Group Plc).
- Advised Helsinki-based Paroc Group Oy, in connection with an offering of EUR 430 million senior secured high-yield notes to international investors (2014).
- Advised Nordea and Pohjola as coordinators and lead managers, and Danske Bank, Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken and Swedbank as the other lead managers on the EUR 250 million senior secured high-yield notes issue by Outokumpu CorporatioN (2014).
- Advised UBS and Nordea, as joint global coordinators and joint bookrunners, on Sanitec Oyj’s SEK 3,660 million Stockholm Stock Exchange IPO (2013).*
- Advised J.P. Morgan, Nordea, BNP Paribas and Crédit Agricole, as managers and underwriters, in Outokumpu Corporation’s EUR 1 billion fully underwritten rights offering to finance part of Outokumpu’s EUR 2.7 billion global acquisition of Inoxum (2012).*
* The transaction was carried out prior to joining Borenius.
- Partner, Borenius, Finland and New York, 2014–
- Partner, Castrén & Snellman, 2009–2014
- Senior Associate, Dittmar & Indrenius, 2006–2009
- Corporate Legal Counsel, Nokia Corporation, 2004–2006
- Associate, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP, New York and London, 2001–2004
- LLM, 2001, Columbia University School of Law (Fulbright Scholar)
- Master of Laws, 1999, University of Turku
- M.Sc. (Econ) 1998, Turku School of Economics and Business Administration
- Finnish, English, Swedish
- Finnish Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- International Fellow of the American Bar Foundation