Financial Institutions & Regulation
The participants in the financial markets continue to face new regulation, and they need to invest more into compliance and other measures to be able to follow the requirements. At the same time, regulation opens up new opportunities. New FinTech companies may be considered to challenge incumbents, but at the same time the development of new services and partnerships between FinTechs and incumbents takes place throughout the market. Increasing digitalisation requires substantial investments from the current market participants and attracts new competitors to the market. The market also provides ample possibilities for M&A transactions, whether driven by economies of scale or new innovations.
Our Financial Institutions & Regulation team provides comprehensive counselling on local regulations and practicalities relating to banking, securities, payment services, derivatives, stock exchange and book-entry system matters as well as other financial products and transactions. The team combines Borenius’ industry expertise and knowledge from various fields of law, utilising our experts from all relevant practices for the needs of our clients. The team combines resources especially from our Banking & Finance, Capital Markets & Public M&A and Fund Formation & Investment Management teams, supported by our other experts as necessary, such as Technology, Media and Telecommunications teams’ knowledge in terms of FinTech companies.
We advise leading banks and other financial institutions as well as FinTechs on a wide range of regulatory and compliance issues. Our lawyers have extensive practical experience from working with legislation and advising major clients in the financial services industry, involving finding solutions while supporting establishing new business models and adapting new technologies. In addition, a number of our lawyers have a good insight to the field also from their previous in-house counsel and management roles.
- Advised various foreign financial institutions in relation to regulatory questions on processes related to ownership control and related notifications, as well as providing investment services in Finland.
- Advised various fintech companies in relation to regulatory questions and with FIN-FSA handlings.
- Advised CapMan Oyj on acquiring controlling shareholding in JAM Advisors, a software tech driven reporting, analysis and wealth management firm (2019).
- Advised Finnish banks on investment in DIAS Oy. DIAS aims to develop a platform for digital transactions involving the Finnish housing market. The platform would be the first of its kind in the world and utilises blockchain technology (2018).
- Advised Oma Säästöpankki Oyj on its Nasdaq Helsinki IPO (2018), covered bond programme and various notes issues (2017-2019).
- Advised a consortium consisting of Asiakastieto Group, Nordea, OP Financial Group, Privanet Group Oyj and Tieto on creating a platform that digitalises trading of non-listed shares. The platform is based on distributed ledger technology that will provide a reliable, simple and digital way of processing primary and secondary market transactions and share register data (2018).
- Advised Fellow Finance Oyj on its First North Finland IPO (2018).
- Advised Svea Ekonomi AB in the acquisition of Maksuturva Group Oy and Maksuturva ICT Services Oy (2018).
- Advised Elite Asset Management Plc when it acquired Alfred Berg Finland entities from BNP Paribas (2017).
- Advised financial group Taaleri Plc on its listing on Nasdaq Helsinki main market (2016).
- Advised Evli Bank Plc on its Nasdaq Helsinki IPO (2015).
- Advised Elite Asset Management Plc on its Nasdaq Helsinki First North IPO (2015).
- Advised Taaleri Plc in the acquisition of Garantia Insurance Company (2015).
Our experts are always ready to assist you. See all of our Financial Institutions & Regulation references here.
Latest references & news
- Borenius advised Söderberg & Partners on the acquisition of minority ownership in Suomen Sijoittajapalvelut
- Päivi Kuitunen Appointed as Counsel to Borenius Capital Markets Team
- Market Abuse and Investment Recommendations in the Age of Retail Investing Boom
- Janni Hiltunen appointed as Counsel and Co-head of the Financial Institutions and Regulation practice