Sanctions & Export Controls
International sanctions are increasingly being used by individual countries and supranational jurisdictions as a tool to promote different foreign policy objectives, such as human rights, the non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, and counterterrorism. Sanctions are also used in combating malicious cyber activities.
Sanctions regimes imposed by different jurisdictions may not always be aligned, which requires a comprehensive approach to compliance especially for businesses that operate in several jurisdictions or have a global supply chain. Similarly, diversifying export control objectives requires for businesses to take into account different legal and policy considerations more broadly.
Setting up measures to ensure compliance with sanctions and export controls is of particular importance for export companies and financial sector entities. Failure to comply with sanctions and export control regulations may lead to significant legal and economic consequences as well as to reputational damage.
We are here to help your business
We advise our clients on all matters related to sanctions and export controls. Our services range from individual business transaction analysis to drafting and implementing internal compliance programmes and regulatory training.
We also have strong expertise in and are ready to advise on matters related to the licensing processes of controlled goods and technologies.
Our areas of expertise include
- All matters related to sanctions and export controls
- Analysing sanctions risks related to individual business transactions with regard to e.g.
- export items,
- business partners,
- exposure to measures imposed by third countries, and
- compliance with other relevant measures, such as the EU’s blocking statute
- Reviewing contracts and advising on sanctions compliance clauses
- Drafting internal export controls and sanctions compliance guidelines for companies
- Implementing internal compliance programmes
- Assisting in sourcing strategies
- Assisting in licensing processes
- Providing training in sanctions and export controls