Markus regularly advises major domestic and international clients on dispute resolution and corporate crime cases.
Markus has in-depth experience of domestic and international corporate and commercial disputes and he has acted as lead counsel in numerous extensive cases. His field of experience encompasses cases related to a wide variety of business sectors, such as the chemicals industry, financial markets, international trade, retail and wholesale, mining, services and consultancy. Markus also has an exceptional track record in handling a broad range of litigation and arbitration cases, including ad hoc proceedings as well as proceedings governed by ICC Rules, SCC Rules and the Arbitration Rules of the Finland Chamber of Commerce.
In addition Markus frequently advises companies and executives in relation to complex corporate crime cases and criminal investigations regarding, inter alia, insider trading, environmental violations, corruption, imports and exports and tax.
Markus’ efficient and client oriented approach has earned him an excellent reputation which has been recognised by rankings in Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Legal 500 and Best Lawyers. Furthermore, Markus also serves as an arbitrator and he has written many articles on litigation and arbitration.
Chambers Europe & Global
- Dispute Resolution
Chambers Europe & Global | 2021
Chambers Europe & Global | 2020
“A calm person to work with.”
Chambers Europe & Global | 2019
“Service-oriented and proactive approach to proposing solutions.”
Chambers Europe & Global | 2018
“Result-oriented, pragmatic and quick to understand the issues in a dispute.”
The Legal 500
- Dispute Resolution
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Advised a Finnish listed company in ICC arbitration related to the multimillion compensation of contractual damages.
- Advised a Finnish major international engineering company in litigation related to the M&A agreement.
- Advised a Danish company in ICC arbitration related to a multimillion compensation of contractual damages.
- Advised a Swiss company and its major shareholder in tax and criminal litigations, related to the international taxation.
- Partner, Borenius, 2010–
- Specialist Partner, Borenius, 2008–2010
- Senior Associate, Borenius, 2005–2008
- Associate, Borenius, 2000–2005
- Associate, Nousiainen & Saares Attorneys, 1999–2000
- Bar Admission, 2003, Helsinki, Finland
- Trained on the bench, 2000, District Court of Kuopio, Finland
- Master of Laws, 1998, University of Lapland, Finland
- Finnish, English, Swedish