EU & Competition
Borenius’ top-ranked EU & Competition team has extensive experience in litigation and preventing the risks associated with antitrust and competition law matters both domestically and at the EU level. Our team of outstanding individuals has an impressive record advising on cases involving alleged cartels, dominance, restrictive commercial practices, litigations and market/sector investigations. We also advise our clients on EU law related regulatory and compliance issues as well as on EU proceedings.
In addition, we are regularly involved in some of the most difficult and sensitive merger control cases. Our experienced team also provides legal and strategic advice to ensure that our clients can successfully navigate the increased complexity of foreign investment (FDI) review processes, and our experts have extensive experience in advising beneficiaries and the Finnish government in both formal and informal State aid investigations before the EU Commission.
Our direct involvement and the experience gained in major State aid cases over many years allows us to provide clients with informed and decisive advice even in the most challenging and novel cases. In addition, our team’s solid expertise and experience in addressing public procurement issues from the perspective of all those involved in the procurement processes enables us to provide clear and effective legal advice with a combination of detailed technical legal expertise, innovative thinking, and commercial focus.
We are here to help your business
Our EU & Competition team is highly experienced in all aspects of EU and competition law. We provide a wide selection of services that can be tailored to the specific needs of your business. Whether you are in need of expertise in EU regulation or advice on merger controls, our team of experts is ready to serve you with distinction. For assessment and filings required outside Finland, we coordinate together with reputable law firms in the relevant jurisdictions around the world.
Our areas of expertise include
- Working with clients to devise a suitable merger strategy by combining commercial, legal, and economic considerations
- Preventive advice and case analysis in State aid cases and Foreign Subsidies Regulation cases
- Day-to-day counselling on procurement law and procedures
- The application of different procurement processes, models, and agreements
- Risk and case feasibility assessments
- Representing clients in procurement complaint and appeal processes before the Finnish Market Court and the Supreme Administrative Court
- Practical insights into EU legislation that are relevant to our clients’ business
- Acting on behalf of clients who operate under EU market and sector regulation
- Representing clients before the relevant authorities and courts with jurisdiction in matters involving EU regulation
- Advising our clients and defending their interests through all stages of an investigation
- Developing and implementing tailored competition law compliance guidelines and training
- Organising in-house “mock dawn raids”
- Competition and free movement
- Other matters related to internal markets.
Our latest recognitions
Our clients are at the heart of what we do, and our achievements are built upon our clients’ success. That is why we are extremely happy to have been entrusted with a broad range of cases.
The Legal 500
“The team has in-depth knowledge of competition and state aid matters and is regarded as one of the best Finnish teams in the practice area.”
“Excellent know-how and service attitude. Real professional. High level industry knowledge.“
“They are service-oriented and business-minded professionals.”
“Borenius is stellar in execution, always available and delivers on time.”
Our experts are always ready to assist you. See all of our EU & Competition references here.