Kiira Björkroth specialises in construction and real estate matters.
She has broad experience in drafting and negotiating construction contracts in various types of projects and in real estate development transactions. She is thoroughly familiar with standardised forms of contract, both internationally (e.g. the FIDIC suite of contracts) and in the Finnish market (YSE 1998, KSE 2013 and other widely used general terms).
A significant portion of Kiira’s work also focuses on helping clients secure their interests and prevent disputes, i.e. claims and contract management. Kiira routinely provides hands-on risk and dispute management advice to our clients throughout the life cycle of their project, from negotiating the contract to issues arising during the guarantee period or operational phase. Kiira also represents clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings concerning construction matters.
In addition to the above expertise, clients benefit from Kiira’s knowledge in insolvency matters within different recovery and dispute issues related to bankruptcy and restructuring. Kiira also has extensive and long-standing experience in public procurements, representing clients in the Finnish Market Court and advising public contracting units during and after their construction project tendering procedures. In addition, Kiira has versatile experience on occupational safety issues that relate to construction matters.
Kiira also lectures regularly on different topics related to construction law.
- Advised on construction aspects in relation to care property acquisition and several other real estate projects.*
- Advising EPCM consultants in several recently initiated plant construction projects.*
- Advisory during construction of the Nokia Arena and hotel complex in Tampere.*
*prior to joining Borenius
- Counsel, Borenius, 2023–
- Specialist Counsel, Merilampi, 2022–2023
- Senior Associate, Merilampi, 2018–2022
- Associate, Merilampi, 2017–2018
- Associate, AKG Attorneys-at-Law Ltd, 2014–2017
- Bar Admission, 2018, Helsinki, Finland
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), 2014, University of Helsinki
- Finnish, English