Restructuring & Insolvency
Borenius’ Restructuring & Insolvency practice advises management, shareholders, creditors, and other parties when companies are unable to fulfil their financial and contractual obligations or need to adapt to change. A number of these cases involve a sizeable cross-border element. Expert advice from our lawyers, who are experienced in both in and out of court proceedings, is essential.
Insolvency work has been a cornerstone of our service offering since the 1990s. Our experienced professionals are known for providing bold and pragmatic, business-focused advice and real commercial results to our clients. Furthermore, our lawyers have acted as trustees and administrators in Finland’s largest bankruptcies and corporate restructurings, and we have been involved in multiple insolvency related Supreme Court decisions. These landmark cases are the foundation of our reputation in restructuring and insolvency.
We are here to help your business
We have practical experience in guiding our clients through comprehensive consensual restructurings, workouts, and debt arrangements and an extensive track record of advising companies and institutional investors on formal and out-of-court restructurings, cross-border restructurings, and insolvencies. We also handle all aspects of rescue financing as well as distressed and special situations and distressed acquisitions and sales.
Our areas of expertise include
- Administration of bankruptcies and corporate reorganisations
- Debt restructuring, rescheduling and structuring of large scale out-of-court restructurings
- Advice relating to insolvency issues, such as debt-to-equity swaps
- Advice in voluntary arrangements and work outs
- Advising management, board members and shareholders in (pre and post) insolvency situations
- Litigation and procedural issues such as claw-back of transactions or payment of dividend
- Dissolution of companies
- Making investments into and buying companies in restructuring proceedings
- Buying assets from distressed sellers and bankruptcy estates
- Disclosure and other securities law advise for distressed public companies
Our clients also turn to us for advice on official and informal creditors’ committees and financing and strategic transactions, such as bond restructurings. We work together with all other Borenius teams in order to help our clients achieve the best possible outcome and create pioneering solutions in complex and unchartered situations.
Our latest recognitions
Our clients are at the heart of what we do, and our achievements are built upon our clients’ success. That is why we are extremely happy to have been entrusted with a broad range of cases.
“They have a very good team which is experienced and effective.”
“Market-leading practice frequently instructed as bankruptcy and restructuring administrator.”
- Borenius advised the State of Finland’s EUR 2.35 billion bridge financing for Fortum
- Borenius advised SRV on the reorganisation of its balance sheet
- Borenius acted as the bankruptcy estate administrator in the bankruptcy proceedings of Norwegian OSM FI Oy and OSM Aviation Finland Oy
- Borenius acted as administrator in Stockmann restructuring
Our experts are always ready to assist you. See all of our Restructuring & Insolvency references here.
Latest references & news
- The Implementation of Debt-to-Equity Conversion Is Progressing
- Celebrating a Milestone Achievement – Jyrki Tähtinen Receives Prestigious Finnish Honorary Title of Laamanni
- Important Decision by the Supreme Court – Damages to be Paid for Terminating Subtenancy Agreement in Restructuring Proceedings Treated as a Restructuring Debt
- Helsinki Court of Appeal’s judgment – Can customary payments be reversed to the bankruptcy estate?