With over 20 years of experience in technology law, Samuli is a trusted advisor for complex transactions in various fields of technology. He has participated in a multitude of projects relating to the new data economy and the use of data in different fields of business, including the health and energy sectors. Samuli also advises various leading Finnish growth companies, assists corporations on their dealings with growth companies and provides advice related to growth companies’ financing transactions.
Samuli serves as a member or advisor on the boards of select Finnish technology and growth companies, including Jolla Oy, the developer of a mobile operating system. Samuli is also the Chair of the International Bar Association’s Media Law Committee.
Samuli is the Co-head of our Technology & Data team and the Chair of Borenius’ Board.
Chambers Europe | 2019
“Very broad technical understanding, which enables him to work in an effective and understandable way with non-lawyer specialists.”
“His commercial awareness and ability to think outside the box was highly valuable during the contract negotiations.”
The Legal 500
The Legal 500 | 2021
“Strategic thinker who understands our industry very well.”
The Legal 500 | 2020
“Samuli Simojoki has demonstrated a deep understanding for our industry and his support and advice goes far beyond what we normally get from any lawyer.”
The Legal 500 | 2019
Who’s Who Legal
- Data – Information Technology – Thought Leader
- Data – Telecoms & Media – Thought Leader
IAM Patent 1000
- Patent Transactions
- Telecommunications (Lawyer of the Year 2015)
- Advised AinaCom Oy, regarding the sale of its consumer operations and fixed networks to TeliaSonera Finland Oyj for EUR 47 million.
- Advised the owners (including Funds managed by CapMan) of Nice Entertainment Group (“Nice”), a pan-Nordic TV content production group, in selling 84,6% of Nice to Modern Times Group MTG (publ) for EUR 84,4 million.
- Served as a secretary of the Board of Nice Entertainment Group, a pan-Nordic TV content production group from 2008 – 2013.
- Advised Warner Music Finland Oy in the acquisition of the business operations of AXR Music Oy, a Finnish record label.
- Advised Wikimedia Foundation in investigations regarding the Finnish Money Collection Act. The National Police Board investigated whether Wikimedia Foundation had violated the Act.
- Partner, Borenius, 2010–
- Associate, Borenius, 1998–2010
- Project Manager, Institute for Information Technology HIIT, 2000–2003
- Project Manager, FITS-programme, Ministry of Transport & Communications, 2002
- Research Coordinator, Institute for Information Technology HIIT, 2001–2002
- Bar admission, 2004, Helsinki, Finland
- Master of Laws, 2000, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Bachelor of Science, 1998, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Finnish, English, Swedish