Juha is a dual-qualified (Finland and New York) transactional lawyer who focuses his practice on capital markets and public M&A transactions. He has advised issuers and underwriters on public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, including IPOs, high-yield debt offerings, convertible debt issuances and rights offerings. He also regularly advises bidders, target boards, financiers and large shareholders on tender offers. Chambers Global ranks Juha as one of the few US Capital Markets Experts based in Finland (Capital Markets: USA – Foreign Experts). All major legal directories, such as IFLR1000, The Legal 500, and Chambers rank him as a “Market Leader” or a “Leading Lawyer” in capital markets in Finland. Juha is also an international fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Juha has significant experience in public and private mergers and acquisitions, especially in the cross-border context. Throughout his career, which spans over 20 years, Juha has also gained significant experience in private M&A, venture capital and financing transactions.
Prior to joining Borenius, Juha was a Partner with another major Finnish law firm. His prior experience includes working as an Associate at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP for three years (New York and London) and as a Corporate Legal Counsel at Nokia Corporation focusing on securities regulation.
- Capital markets, Private equity (Market Leader)
IFLR1000 | 2020
“He is an excellent lawyer and a fantastic person to work with. He has sound experience and has been part of many transactions recently. He knows the market practice and law really well. Further, I think the team he has built around him is very good and has good knowledge of legal matters.”
“Very easy to work with, pragmatic and service-minded. He has a strong international network and understanding of US aspects.”
IFLR1000 | 2018
“Juha is a terrific attorney. He is always accessible and very responsive. He gives very practical, commercial advice and has the internal resources to augment areas outside his particular expertise.”
“Excellent work, totally available, amazing understanding of the market. I have worked with many lawyers at the firm and have always been impressed.”
The Legal 500
- Capital Markets (Leading Individual)
The Legal 500 | 2021
“Skilled and experienced lawyer.”
The Legal 500 | 2020
“Juha Koponen is key; he has a commercial mind and approach. Juha is really easy to work with and would assume other clients share this view. He is very knowledgeable and solid when it comes to legal aspects in the Capital Market space and beyond.”
The Legal 500 | 2019
“Dedicated and seasoned expert.”
The Legal 500 | 2018
“Practice head Juha Koponen is ‘the stronghold in Borenius’ capital markets’ team.”
Chambers Europe & Global
- Capital Markets
- Capital Markets (USA – Expert Based Abroad)
- Capital Markets (Finland – Foreign Expert for USA)
Chambers Europe & Global | 2021
“We really value the rigour and creativity he brings.”
“Very good understanding of US securities and legislation.”
Chambers Europe | 2020
“He has very good knowledge and broad expertise in capital markets transactions, especially IPOs. He is commercially minded, fast-thinking, diligent and gives pragmatic solutions.”
Chambers Global | 2019
“Very client-focused and solution-oriented. He is helpful, available, and a great choice for counsel on both Finnish and international transactions.”
Chambers Europe | 2019
“Solution-oriented approach and responsive.”
- Capital Markets
- Advised Nasdaq Helsinki listed Yleiselektroniikka Oyj in connection with the mandatory public tender offer of by Preato Capital AB (2019).
- Advised the joint global coordinators and joint bookrunners on three of EQT’s latest Finnish target company exit IPOs: the EUR 182 million Nasdaq Helsinki IPO of Musti Group Oyj (2020), the EUR 876 million Nasdaq Helsinki IPO of Terveystalo Oyj (2017) and the SEK 3,660 million Nasdaq Stockholm IPO of Sanitec Oyj (2013)*.
- Advised Danske Bank and Morgan Stanley as joint global coordinators, and JP Morgan, Nordea and SEB as bookrunners on the EUR 474.3 million Nasdaq Helsinki IPO of DNA Oyj (2016).
- Advised Madison Dearborn Partners on the EUR 315 million public takeover of Powerflute Oyj, a Finnish company listed on London Stock Exchange’s AIM marketplace (2016).
- Advised on 40% of the listings on Nasdaq Helsinki between 2015–2019 (advising either issuers or underwriters, and in one instance the State of Finland as the sole selling shareholder).
- Advised Helsinki-based Paroc Group Oy, in connection with an offering of EUR 430 million senior secured high-yield notes to international investors (2014).
- Advised J.P. Morgan, Nordea, BNP Paribas and Crédit Agricole, as managers and underwriters, in Outokumpu Corporation’s EUR 1 billion fully underwritten rights offering to finance part of Outokumpu’s EUR 2.7 billion global acquisition of Inoxum (2012).*
* The transaction was carried out prior to joining Borenius.
- Partner, Borenius, Finland, London and New York, 2014–
- Partner, Castrén & Snellman, 2009–2014
- Senior Associate, Dittmar & Indrenius, 2006–2009 (Associate 1999–2000)
- Corporate Legal Counsel, Nokia Corporation, 2004–2006
- Associate, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP, New York and London, 2001–2004
- LLM, 2001, Columbia University School of Law (Fulbright Scholar)
- Master of Laws, 1999, University of Turku
- M.Sc. (Econ) 1998, Turku School of Economics and Business Administration
- Finnish, English, Swedish