Corporate Social Responsibility
Diversity is our strength.
We are defined by our values, and we are proud to have a culture of respect within our organisation in terms of our people and strategy. Our carefully selected pro bono partners and programmes are a further reflection of our commitment to promoting diversity and social inclusion. These allow us to give back to society while maximising the positive impact of our employees’ legal expertise. Associating with people from different backgrounds gives us access to a multitude of different experiences and perspectives. We listen and then use what we have learned to the benefit of our clients.
Our current pro bono programmes are:
- Helsinki Pride. One of our key pro bono partners is the Helsinki Pride community. We actively advise the community on contractual matters and assist with legal matters that relate to the association throughout the year. We also participate in the Helsinki Pride Week event. Our goal is to promote inclusion in the legal field and to foster a society of equality and individual welfare.
- Icehearts. This Finnish innovative early-intervention operating model provides long-term professional support for vulnerable children facing the risk of social exclusion. The children in this project are divided into teams that operate for a period of 12 years during which they will gain support and supervision from professional educators.
- The Finnish Paralympic Committee. We have been the official legal adviser to the Finnish Paralympic Committee on a pro bono basis since 2013. Our support includes assisting the organisation and individual athletes on various legal matters. We have also taken an active role in developing the procedures of classification in Paralympic sports while actively contributing to the legal discussion currently evolving around the equal treatment of athletes.
- Young Office. Fostering connections between young people and the business world is one the most important ways in which we can contribute to society. To support this, we have implemented a multicultural work experience programme aimed at pupils in lower secondary schools.
- Oikismentorointiohjelma. We believe that increasing diversity among lawyers starts from establishing equal opportunities for education. Oikismentorointi Ry encourages secondary school students with non-academic parents to apply to law school through a mutually beneficial virtual mentoring programme.
Responsibility with thought-leadership. Being one of the thought leaders in the legal industry comes with the responsibility to look ahead. We must dare to challenge the established ways of working in the legal community. For us this means that we have a responsibility to actively discuss issues having legal importance for the society. We also want to be involved in discussions on how the legal industry will be a pro-active force in improving business practices, diversity, and leadership in order to make a difference.
This means not only a responsibility to answer to these requirements set on us by the society, but also a commitment to give back in the form of pro bono work in areas in which we have leading expertise. We actively share our knowledge and views to develop business and the society through national committee work. We also offer a substantial amount of training opportunities for students and we see this work as a platform for educating business lawyers that later can serve the business community from in-house positions.
We follow the ethical rules of the Finnish Bar Association. However, we believe that our business must meet standards that go above and beyond these specific norms. We see corporate responsibility as a broad concept comprising the whole spectrum from ethics and rules to people and environment. Our core task is to maintain integrity and loyally defend the legal interest of our clients to secure a well-functioning legal system and rule of law.
We place our people, pro bono work and the environment at the heart of our corporate responsibility programme.
We also invite all vendors and business partners to act responsibly. We are committed to conducting business and providing legal advice in accordance with the highest legal and ethical standards. The integrity of our vendors, product and service suppliers, and other business partners is critical to our success. As such, all parties doing business with Borenius must commit to our Supplier Code of Conduct. It outlines the minimum standards we require our suppliers to comply with when doing business with us.