Ben is a renowned litigator in patent, trademark and intellectual property matters in Finland and an expert in the field of intellectual property, technology law and Market Court proceedings. Ben advises on contractual and licensing arrangements, brands and marketing law related matters, commercial disputes, and corporate transactions in electronics and high-tech industries. His expertise also covers legal issues related to the pharmaceutical industry, health technology and life science sectors.
Ben has extensive experience in patent and intellectual property litigation as well as in contractual disputes and arbitration proceedings concerning ICT and high-tech companies. Various international publications (Chambers, Legal 500, IAM 250, WTR 1000) regard him as one of the leading legal experts in Finland in the field of intellectual property and litigation.
Ben heads the firm’s Intellectual Property team.
Chambers Europe & Global
Chambers Europe & Global | 2017
“Big name in the Finnish IP market.”
Chambers Europe & Global | 2016
“Is highly competent, gets things done fast and his level of service is outstanding.”
Who’s Who Legal
- Life Sciences
IAM Patent 1000
- Patent Litigation
IAM Patent 1000 | 2016
“A top patent litigator who presents complex technical matters in an understanding manner.”
- Trademarks: Enforcement and litigation
Managing Intellectual Property: IP Stars
- IP Star
- Patents, Trademarks
- Successfully advised and represented ratiopharm in a Supreme Court case concerning the res judicata effect of a final judgement in damage claim proceedings. The Supreme Court ruled that the principle of the negative res judicata effect means that a case that has been resolved with a legally valid judgement cannot be brought before a court of law again. As a result, the Supreme Court dismissed the opposing party’s substantial damage claim.
- Successfully advised and represented Vaisala, a global leader in the field of environmental and industrial measurement technology, in a patent dispute before the Market Court. The dispute concerned a European patent for weather radar technology used in meteorological observations. Vaisala won the case, and the patent-in-suit was revoked.
- Successfully advised and represented Orifarm, Denmark’s largest supplier of pharmaceuticals, in a trademark dispute concerning the packaging of pharmaceutical products. The Helsinki District Court rejected all claims lodged by the opposing party, Merck, Sharp & Dohme, and awarded damages to Orifarm due to the unnecessary preliminary injunction granted in this matter. During the appeal proceedings, the Helsinki Court of Appeal upheld the judgment issued by the court of first instance and held that Orifarm’s packaging met the requirements for re-packaging of pharmaceutical products under the legal praxis of the Court of Justice of the European Union (the so-called BMS criterion).
- Successfully advised and represented Nordpeis, a Nordic manufacturer of fireplaces, in a dispute related to unfair business practices before the Market Court. The dispute also involved preliminary injunction proceedings where the Market Court issued an ex parte injunction against the opposing party.
- Successfully advised and represented Hospira, the world’s leading provider of injectable drugs and infusion technologies, in a complex patent litigation case regarding docetaxel with a commercial value of several million euros. The Helsinki District Court revoked the opposing party’s patent-in-suit and confirmed that Hospira’s product is non-infringing.
- Successfully advised and represented a major Nordic insurance company in extensive arbitration proceedings against one of the largest Nordic IT system suppliers in a dispute involving an interest of several million euros concerning the supplier’s failure to supply an IT system.
- Partner, Borenius, 2006–
- Associate lawyer, Borenius, 2000–2005
- Governmental Secretary, Ministry of Trade and Industry, 1997–1999
- Notary, District Court of Helsinki 1996–1997
- Legal adviser, Governmental Secretary, Ministry of Trade and Industry, 1993–1996
- Bar Admission, 2002, Helsinki, Finland
- Trained on the bench, 1997, District court of Helsinki, Finland
- Master of Laws, 1993, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Finnish, English, Swedish