Johannes is a transaction lawyer focusing on M&A and private equity transactions and has been involved in numerous domestic and cross-border transactions acting for both private equity sponsors and industrial clients. In addition, he has advised clients, for example, in ownership and equity structuring related to various infrastructure projects. Clients appreciate his ability to seek hands-on solutions to complicated problems. “He understands the deal-making dynamics and has the ability to find solutions instead of problems”, as was quoted by one of our clients.
He regularly lectures on topics relating to mergers and acquisitions and private equity. Prior to joining Borenius, Johannes was a partner with another major Finnish law firm.
Johannes heads the firm’s M&A & Private Equity team.
Chambers Europe & Global
Chambers Europe & Global | 2019
“Very strategic, thorough, systematic, calm and pragmatic.”
“Attention to detail while still seeing the bigger picture.”
Chambers Europe & Global | 2018
“Customer-oriented lawyer who has a good attitude, wide-ranging knowledge and is target-focused.”
Chambers Global | 2017
“Very easy to work with and responsive.”
“Looks for pragmatic solutions and doesn’t try to reinvent the wheel.”
The Legal 500
- Commercial, Corporate & M&A
The Legal 500 | 2018
IFLR1000 | 2020
“He is strong at managing complex situations requiring a wide range of expertise. It always feels like he is up to speed in terms of progress and links between different workstreams. His availability is also excellent.”
“He was able to gather a superior team for us and to utilize the team extremely well. We always had somebody available whenever needed and that person was always up-to-date regarding the processes we had on-going.”
IFLR1000 | 2019
“Very strong lawyer who provides excellent advice and helps clients to judge business situations.”
- Advised owners of JOT Automation Ltd on its sale to Suzhou Victory Precision Manufacture Co Ltd.
- Advised HMD Global on a USD 100 million financing round.
- Advised private equity sponsor CapMan on the acquisition of Harvia Oy, one of the world’s leading companies in the sauna industry.
- Advised Synlab Interational on the acquisition of Cityterveys.
- Advised private equity sponsor Adelis Equity Partners on the sale of Med Group.
- Advised a Finnish listed company on the sale of its vendor note receivable for a cash consideration of over EUR 100 million to a private equity fund.
- Advised Russia Invest (and Sponda Plc, Ilmarinen Mutual Pension Insurance Company, Etera Mutual Pension Insurance Company and Onvest Oy) on acquiring approximately a 55% ownership in the EUR 250 million shopping centre project Okhta Mall in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Advised Suomen Luotto-osuuskunta on the sale of Luottokunta Oy for EUR 170 million to Nets.*
* The transaction was carried out prior to joining Borenius.
- Partner, Borenius, 2013–
- Partner, Castrén & Snellman, 2011–2012
- Associate, Castrén & Snellman, 2006–2011
- Associate, Borenius, 2003–2006
- Bar Admission, 2006
- Master of Laws, University of Turku 2001
- Finnish, English, Swedish