We were privileged to host the Finnish Paralympic team’s official homecoming party on Monday, 26 September. The event featured a medal reception for the three Finnish medallists, who were also awarded cash bonuses for their great accomplishment. The medallists were:
- Leo-Pekka Tähti – Gold, Men’s 100 metres wheelchair racing (class T54)
- Marjaana Heikkinen – Silver, Women’s javelin throw (class F34)
- Henry Manni – Bronze, Men’s 100 metres wheelchair racing (class T34)
Sportscaster Tuomas Törrönen, who also reported the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games on Yle (Finnish Broadcasting Company), hosted the event and interviewed the medallists.
One of the highlights of the evening was the auction to raise funds for the Paralympic Committee. The auction items consisted of various Rio 2016 Paralympic Games memorabilia:
- Leo-Pekka Tähti’s shirt, bib and signed photo
- Marjaana Heikkinen’s bib and signed photo
- Henry Manni’s jacket, bib and signed photo
- Liisa Lilja’s swimming cap, bib and signed photo
- Toni Piispanen’s bib and signed photo
- Amanda Kotaja’s bib and signed photo
A total of EUR 3500 was raised for the cause.
Speeches honouring the athletes were given by Markus Kokko, Partner at Borenius, Tiina Kivisaari, Secretary General of the Finnish Paralympic Committee, Petri Pohjonen, Director General of the Finnish Association of People with Physical Disabilities, Hannu Tolonen, Senior Advisor of the Ministry of Education and Culture, and other partners of the Finnish Paralympic Committee, including Veikkaus Oy and Scandic Hotels Oy.
The event was attended by approximately 100 participants, including all three medallists and many other members of the Finnish Paralympic team. Yle were present to film the event and the reception was covered in the evening’s Yle’s Urheiluruutu (daily sports broadcast).
Borenius is the Legal Advisor and pro bono partner of the Finnish Paralympic Committee.
See Yle’s coverage of the event (in Finnish) at 3:47 here>>.