Casper advises clients on a wide range of issues related to environmental law, natural resources and infrastructure projects as well as corporate responsibility (CSR). He is regularly involved in assessing environmental liabilities in transactions and financing arrangements. One of Casper’s focus areas is strategic advice to clients in particular relating to strategic project planning of large industrial and infrastructure projects as well as social licencing and corporate responsibility issues. Clients also recognise him as the leading Finnish mining lawyer. Trade associations and industrial clients frequently rely on his experience when safeguarding their interests in legislative reforms.
A selection of Casper’s clients include industrial clients, exploration and mining companies, retail firms, various energy and renewable projects, real estate investors, financial institutions, chemical companies and traders as well as trade associations.
Prior to joining Borenius, Casper was a Partner with another law firm. He has also worked at the Ministry of the Environment and teaches environmental law at the University of Helsinki. Casper also has previous experience in legislative work in the field of environmental and mining law and has been a specialist counsel at Pöyry Oyj. He has a doctoral degree in law and has dissertated on soil and groundwater contamination liability.
- Energy & Natural Resources
Chambers Europe | 2018
“Great communication skills”
Chambers Europe | 2017
“He understands mining and is able to bring creative solutions.”
Chambers Global | 2016
“He’s an upstanding mining lawyer and understands both the business and international clients.”
“We looked for the best mining lawyer in Finland and are very happy with him.”
- Real estate: Environment
- Energy & infrastructure, Project development, Banking, Project finance
Who’s Who Legal
- Mining, Environment
- Natural resources
- Advised Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. in a EUR 320 million acquisition of OMG Kokkola Chemicals Oy and its cobalt refinery assets from OM Group, Inc.
- Advised the Finnish mining industry (FinnMin) in the governmental relations work relating to the preparations of the new Finnish mining act.
- Advised Nammo Lapua Oy in the acquisition of the Vihtavuori gunpowder factory, which also involved an agreement with the Finnish state concerning environmental issues.
- Managing Partner, Borenius, 2016–
- Partner, Borenius, 2010–
- Partner, Hammarström Puhakka Partners, 2009–2010
- Lawyer, Hammarström Puhakka Partners, 2007–2009
- Specialist Counsel, Pöyry Environment, 2005–2007
- Researcher, University of Helsinki, 2002–2007
- Assistant in Private law, University of Helsinki, 2001–2002
- Senior Officer, Ministry of the Environment, 2001
- Bar Admission, 2009, Helsinki, Finland
- Doctor of Laws, 2008, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Trained on the bench, 2001, District court of Vaasa, Finland
- Master of Laws 2000, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Swedish, Finnish, English, German