Tero specialises in commercial dispute resolution with a particular focus on international arbitration and cross-border mandates. He excels in complex disputes consisting of parallel proceedings, and his practice also covers corporate crime defence as well as governmental and regulatory litigation.
Beyond litigation and arbitration, Tero is also a trusted advisor to many boards of directors and members of senior management. They regularly turn to Tero for strategic conflict management and prevention as well as for advice regarding the duties and liabilities of corporate organs and directors.
Tero has strong experience in technically detailed international trade, project delivery, construction and engineering disputes. He is also one of the leading figures in Finland when it comes to disputes in the energy sector. Tero also often advises our clients on disputes related to M&A, financing, corporate law, shareholders’ agreements, joint ventures, product liability, distribution, agency, transport and investment law.
In the field of arbitration, Tero has served as the President and Vice-President of AIJA’s Intentional Arbitration Commission for six years. He has advocated in arbitrations seated in Finland and abroad, and his experience covers arbitration under Finnish and foreign laws as well as all the main arbitration rules. Tero regularly handles enforcement, annulment and setting-aside proceedings, and he also serves as an arbitrator.
Besides Helsinki, Tero has studied law in New York and completed a secondment both at a leading distributor of pharmaceuticals and at our New York office. He is familiar with US law and has special knowledge of AAA-ICDR arbitrations. Tero is also trained and experienced in transformative mediation and ADR.
- Dispute Resolution (Up and coming)
The Legal 500
- Dispute Resolution
- Successfully represented a global provider of power solutions in an ICC arbitration seated in Stockholm.
- Successfully represented a manufacturer of composite solutions in an M&A dispute under the laws of the State of New York.
- Advised a top executive of a listed company on environmental crime proceedings before the Finnish Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented a leading pharmaceuticals company against the Finnish Medicines Agency in a regulatory appeal at the Finnish Supreme Administrative Court.
- Partner, Borenius, 2021–
- Senior Associate, Borenius, 2015–2021
- Associate, Borenius, 2011–2015
- Bar Admission, 2015, Helsinki, Finland
- Master of Laws, 2011, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Finnish, English
Related references and news
- What is the Mankala model found in Finnish power production?
- Borenius represented two former executives of Talvivaara Mining Plc
- All Borenius Dispute Resolution Partners Top-Ranked in Benchmark Litigation
- Borenius Invites Nella Åström, Robert Peldán and Tero Kovanen to Join the Partnership
- Borenius successfully represented Alva-yhtiöt Oy and Jyväskylän Voima Oy in two connected energy arbitrations worth tens of millions of euros