Borenius, founded in 1911, is one of the largest and most prominent full-service law firms in Finland. Outside of Finland, we have offices in St. Petersburg (Russia), New York (US) and London (UK). Our New York office opened in 2012, St. Petersburg in 2013 and London in 2020. Additionally, we provide a China Desk and a Nordic Desk for both domestic and international clientele that require assistance with legal matters relating to these regions.
Our New York office provides legal advice primarily to Finnish and Nordic-owned companies doing business in the United States. We also advise US clients who conduct or intend to conduct business in Finland or Russia in all areas of business law. Partner Juha Koponen, who is qualified in both Finland and New York, heads our New York office.
How can our New York office help you?
- We offer a convenient gateway for US companies looking to invest and do business in the Finnish, Russian and Nordic territories. We provide services in all areas of Finnish and Russian law for corporate and institutional clients.
- We also offer specific US legal services for select corporate clients looking to enter or expand in the US market. In the US, we often work on corporate M&A, investments, finance, corporate & commercial and securities law matters. We typically utilize our extensive network of leading US co-counsels to provide assistance with specialized legal representation in order to ensure that we meet all of your business needs. In addition, we have excellent relationships with New York based investment banking firms, insurance brokers and relocation experts that are often needed when the US operations expand.
We excel at cross-border matters, deals and assignments
As a leading independent Finnish law firm, an international network with close ties to other independent leading law firms in other jurisdictions is key for our capability to serve our clients on cross-border deals and other assignments. Through our office in New York, we are closer to the US legal market and can engage in more intensive cooperation with many of the world’s leading law firms, banks and clients in one of the leading global financial centers.
- Opened in 2012. We opened our New York representative office in 2012. The office has been a successful addition to our international services, and it has strengthened our international network.
- Wide variety of events & seminars. We often host seminars together with other leading Nordic law firms at our offices. Additionally, we offer a multitude of webinars on important current topics that are designed to provide important and relevant information to our clients and networks. We bring together US and Nordic interests e.g. by promoting transactional activity between the Nordics and the US. Our events are well-attended and highly regarded.
- Large international networks. We are an active member of the Finnish-American Chamber of Commerce in New York. As our New York and London offices both serve the function of a representative office, they are very interconnected due to the nature of business in the world’s two key financial centers.
- International experience & insight for our lawyers. We We offer a short-term secondment program to our senior associates at our New York office that enables them to experience life in the legal community and the European business circles in New York. The well-designed secondment program has a sharply growing alumni in our Helsinki and St. Petersburg offices.
We advise Finnish companies with US operations
Many of our assignments deal with M&A transactions for Finnish companies in the US. Depending on the scale of our clients’ legal advisory needs, we usually recommend a suitable US co-counsel for the matter from our existing network of good law firm friends around the country. For certain Finnish companies, we also act as an external US general counsel and provide legal guidance to these Finnish companies looking to outsource their US legal needs while maintaining their decision-making in Finland. In our general counsel role, we assist Finnish companies in the US with an array of legal matters, such as sales and licensing agreements, NDAs, board matters, annual filings, joint development and cooperation agreements, and smaller M&A. We also provide preliminary assistance in dispute and employment matters.
We assist the most promising Finnish growth companies with their US expansion
We also provide services to a limited number of promising Finnish growth companies. We see this as an important task as a member of the Finnish-US business community, so that we can facilitate the entry of the most promising growth companies to the US markets. Typically, we help our growth company clients in establishing a US entity and drafting and negotiating agreements with US partners and customers. We also advise our growth company clients on online and mobile app terms, venture capital financing, and general day-to-day corporate matters.
We are a globally recognized and highly ranked law firm
In 2019, we were awarded the title of Best Nordic Law Firm by The Lawyer European Awards and the title of Most Innovative Finnish Law Firm by the IFLR Europe Awards. These prestigious awards were granted to us based on our strategic vision and cross-border capabilities as well as our consistent excellence in the delivery of legal services and our strong New York & London representative offices.
We are also consistently ranked as a top tier firm in Finland by all leading legal directories, such as Chambers and Partners (Global and Europe), IFLR1000 and the Legal 500.
We are your US partner with Finnish principles, working seamlessly across jurisdictions, languages and time zones, while making full use of the collective resources of our firm.
New York Office location
Borenius’ office in New York is ideally located in the heart of Midtown Manhattan at 350 Park Avenue (between 51st and 52nd Streets).
Borenius Attorneys P.C.
350 Park Avenue, 13th floor, New York, NY 10022
Tel. +1 212 535 2556
Fax +1 212 430 6552