Borenius, founded in 1911, is one of the largest and most prominent full-service law firms in Finland. Outside of Finland, we have offices in New York (US) and London (UK). Our New York office opened in 2012 and London in 2020. Additionally, we provide a China Desk and a Nordic Desk for both domestic and international clientele that require assistance with legal matters relating to these regions.
How can our London office help you?
- We offer our London-based law firm friends and clients a convenient gateway to Finland.
- Similarly, our London office enables us to provide the best advice to our Finnish clients while taking into account the domestic and international aspects of our clients’ complex matters.
We provide services in all key areas of Finnish law for corporate and institutional clients. We do not practice English law at the London office, and as such, we will always work together with a co-counsel on matters that require advice based on English law.
We excel at cross-border matters, deals and assignments
As a leading independent Finnish law firm, an international network with close ties to other independent leading law firms in other jurisdictions is key for our capability to serve our clients on cross-border deals and other assignments. Many of our notable clients in the legal, banking and investor sectors conduct their Nordic business out of London.
- Opened in 2020. We opened our representative office in London in 2020 encouraged by our success in New York. Our New York office has been serving our clients since 2012.
- Close cooperation with market leaders. Similarly to our office in New York, we utilise our London office in bringing together global and Finnish interests e.g. by promoting transactional activity between Finland and various world-leading law firms, banks and clients that are based in London.
- Large international networks. We are the law firm patron member of the Finnish-British Chamber of Commerce in London. Our offices in London and New York are very interconnected due to the nature of business in the world’s two main financial centres.
We advise on matters regarding Brexit
Our various expert groups have followed Brexit very closely, and we consistently offer seminars and publish legal alerts on Brexit-related topics. Our presence in London ensures that we are ideally positioned to assist Finnish companies on Brexit-related questions as we have direct access to many of the leading Brexit experts in London. In addition to our networks, we also tap into our domestic expertise to put Brexit-related issues in the context of the Finnish businesses we advise. These issues can relate to a multitude of different topics, such as financial regulatory matters, the delivery of goods and services, Finnish employees in the UK or UK employees in Finland, and intellectual property rights. We also advise our clients on Brexit-related data protection and privacy matters and general contractual matters.
We engage in close cooperation with our network of experts in the UK. As such, Borenius lawyers are very well positioned to design measures for Finnish businesses to respond to the effects of Brexit. Our networks and experience also allow us to assist our clients in navigating any legal issues that may arise from the Trade and Cooperation Agreement concluded between the European Union and the UK on 24 December 2020.
Please see our earlier client alerts on Brexit-related matters for reference:
- Brexit: EU-UK Data Flows to Continue for an Interim Period
- The Effects of a Possible No-deal Brexit on EU Trademarks and Community Designs
- Will Brexit Affect the UK Nationals in Your Workforce?
- Consequences of a Hard Brexit for UK Directors and Companies in Finland
- Can You Mitigate the Effects of Potential “Hard Brexit” on Financial Services and Instruments between the EU and the UK?
All our Brexit-related items can be found here.
We are a globally recognised and highly ranked law firm
We have won the Finnish Law Firm of the Year Award at the IFLR Europe Awards 2021. This is on top of our previous recognitions since in 2019, we were awarded the title of Best Nordic Law Firm by The Lawyer European Awards and the title of Most Innovative Finnish Law Firm by the IFLR Europe Awards. These prestigious awards were granted to us based on our strategic vision and cross-border capabilities as well as our consistent excellence in the delivery of legal services and our strong New York & London representative offices.
We are also consistently ranked as a top tier firm in Finland by all leading legal directories, such as Chambers and Partners (Global and Europe), IFLR1000 and the Legal 500.
We are your UK partner with Finnish principles, working seamlessly across jurisdictions, languages and time zones, while making full use of the collective resources of our firm.
London Office location
Our London representative office is conveniently located right in the heart of the City of London and enables us to host client visits and meetings close to where many of our clients are located.