Juha is a dual-qualified (Finland and New York) transactional lawyer who focuses his practice on capital markets and public M&A transactions. He has advised issuers and underwriters on public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, including IPOs, high-yield debt offerings, convertible debt issuances and rights offerings. He also regularly advises bidders, target boards, financiers and large shareholders on tender offers. Chambers Global ranks Juha as one of the few US Capital Markets Experts based in Finland (Capital Markets: USA – Foreign Experts). All major legal directories, such as IFLR1000, The Legal 500, and Chambers rank him as a “Market Leader” or a “Leading Lawyer” in capital markets in Finland. Juha is also an international fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Juha has significant experience in public and private mergers and acquisitions, especially in the cross-border context. Throughout his career, which spans over 23 years, Juha has also gained significant experience in private M&A, venture capital and financing transactions.
Prior to joining Borenius, Juha was a Partner with another major Finnish law firm. His prior experience includes working as an Associate at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP for three years (New York and London) and as a Corporate Legal Counsel at Nokia Corporation focusing on securities regulation.
- Capital markets, Private equity (Market Leader)
The Legal 500
- Capital Markets (Leading Individual)
Chambers Europe & Global
- Capital Markets
- Capital Markets (USA – Expert Based Abroad)
- Capital Markets (Finland – Foreign Expert for USA)
- Capital Markets
- Advising Netflix, Inc. on a recommended voluntary public cash tender offer to acquire Next Games Corporation (2022).
- Advised West Street Global Infrastructure Partners (an infrastructure fund managed by Goldman Sachs Asset Management) on the SEK 8.1 billion voluntary public cash tender offer for Adapteo Plc, a Finnish company listed on Nasdaq Stockholm (2021).
- Advised Lifeline SPAC I Plc on its Nasdaq Helsinki SPAC IPO (2021).
- Advised on approximately 40% of the listings on Nasdaq Helsinki between 2015–2021 (advising either issuers or underwriters, and in one instance the State of Finland as the sole selling shareholder).
- Advised Nasdaq Helsinki listed Yleiselektroniikka Oyj in connection with the mandatory public tender offer of by Preato Capital AB (2019).
- Advised the joint global coordinators and joint bookrunners on three of EQT’s latest Finnish target company exit IPOs: the EUR 182 million Nasdaq Helsinki IPO of Musti Group Oyj (2020), the EUR 876 million Nasdaq Helsinki IPO of Terveystalo Oyj (2017) and the SEK 3,660 million Nasdaq Stockholm IPO of Sanitec Oyj (2013)*.
- Advised Danske Bank and Morgan Stanley as joint global coordinators, and JP Morgan, Nordea and SEB as bookrunners on the EUR 474.3 million Nasdaq Helsinki IPO of DNA Oyj (2016).
- Advised Madison Dearborn Partners on the EUR 315 million public takeover of Powerflute Oyj, a Finnish company listed on London Stock Exchange’s AIM marketplace (2016).
- Advised Helsinki-based Paroc Group Oy, in connection with an offering of EUR 430 million senior secured high-yield notes to international investors (2014).
- Advised J.P. Morgan, Nordea, BNP Paribas and Crédit Agricole, as managers and underwriters, in Outokumpu Corporation’s EUR 1 billion fully underwritten rights offering to finance part of Outokumpu’s EUR 2.7 billion global acquisition of Inoxum (2012).*
* The transaction was carried out prior to joining Borenius.
- Partner, Borenius, Finland, London and New York, 2014–
- Partner, Castrén & Snellman, 2009–2014
- Senior Associate, Dittmar & Indrenius, 2006–2009
- Corporate Legal Counsel, Nokia Corporation, 2004–2006
- Associate, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP, New York and London, 2001–2004
- Associate, Dittmar & Indrenius, 1999–2000
- LLM, 2001, Columbia University School of Law (Fulbright Scholar)
- Master of Laws, 1999, University of Turku
- M.Sc. (Econ) 1998, Turku School of Economics and Business Administration
- Finnish, English, Swedish
Related references and news
- New Takeover Code Published by the Finnish Securities Market Association
- Borenius advised Oma Savings Bank Plc on the issue of an unsecured senior-term bond of EUR 150 million
- Borenius advised the State of Finland’s EUR 2.35 billion bridge financing for Fortum
- Finland’s purchase of F-35 fighters signals closer military and civilian cooperation with the US
- Our Representative Office in New York Moves to the Rockefeller Center