With over 20 years of experience in technology law, Samuli is a trusted advisor in complex transactions in various fields of technology. Samuli advises leading Finnish growth companies on their venture capital transactions and technology deals. He has participated in a multitude of projects relating to the new data economy and the use of data in different fields of business, including the health and energy sectors. Samuli also advises Finnish corporations on their corporate venture capital strategies and arrangements, and he has contributed to various spin-out processes involving Finnish universities. In addition, Samuli advises leading Finnish university hospitals in relation to their research projects.
Samuli has served as a member or advisor on the boards of select Finnish technology and growth companies. He has also acted as the Chair of the International Bar Association’s Media Law Committee.
Samuli is the Chair of Borenius’ Board and the Co-head of our Technology & Data team.
The Legal 500
Who’s Who Legal
- Data – Information Technology – Thought Leader
- Data – Telecoms & Media – Thought Leader
IAM Patent 1000
- Patent Transactions
- Telecommunications (Lawyer of the Year 2015)
- Advised AinaCom Oy, regarding the sale of its consumer operations and fixed networks to TeliaSonera Finland Oyj for EUR 47 million.
- Advised the owners (including Funds managed by CapMan) of Nice Entertainment Group (“Nice”), a pan-Nordic TV content production group, in selling 84,6% of Nice to Modern Times Group MTG (publ) for EUR 84,4 million.
- Served as a secretary of the Board of Nice Entertainment Group, a pan-Nordic TV content production group from 2008 – 2013.
- Advised Warner Music Finland Oy in the acquisition of the business operations of AXR Music Oy, a Finnish record label.
- Advised Wikimedia Foundation in investigations regarding the Finnish Money Collection Act. The National Police Board investigated whether Wikimedia Foundation had violated the Act.
- Partner, Borenius, 2010–
- Associate, Borenius, 1998–2010
- Project Manager, Institute for Information Technology HIIT, 2000–2003
- Project Manager, FITS-programme, Ministry of Transport & Communications, 2002
- Research Coordinator, Institute for Information Technology HIIT, 2001–2002
- Bar admission, 2004, Helsinki, Finland
- Master of Laws, 2000, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Bachelor of Science, 1998, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Finnish, English, Swedish