Emma and her team advise our clients on construction and project law assignments. She focuses on major industrial and infrastructure investments, construction and engineering mandates, as well as real estate development and dispute resolution. A large part of her work also includes advisory services relating to EPC(M) projects, under the FIDIC suites or similar international forms of contracts.
Emma has long-standing experience in negotiating and drafting complex project agreements and providing risk and claims management advice relating to our clients’ critical projects and strategic investments. She benefits from her unique technical background in her advisory role; with a Master of Science degree in Construction Economics and Management from the Helsinki University of Technology, she draws from her understanding of project management and industrial/technical processes to get a strong handle on contract risks in demanding projects.
On contentious mandates Emma represents clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings, and also acts as arbitrator in construction and supply contract disputes.
Emma has also authored books on construction management contracting and contractors’ guarantee liabilities and is a sought-after speaker on topics related to construction law and dispute management.
Emma heads the firm’s Projects & Construction team.
- Real Estate & Construction
The Legal 500
- Dispute Resolution
Who’s Who Legal
- Construction – Thought Leader
- Construction – Global Leader
Client Choice Award
- Industrial and wind power plants; acting for Finnish and foreign investors and contractors.*
- Advising EPCM consultants in several recently initiated plant construction projects.*
- Infrastructure contract and dispute work relating to projects such as The Ring Rail Line and West Metro in the greater Helsinki capital area.*
- Real estate development advisory concerning e.g. Pasila Tripla and Kalasatama Redi malls in the greater Helsinki capital area.*
- Advisory during construction of the Nokia Arena and hotel complex in Tampere.*
- Acting for the consortium winning bids for all Finnish public private partnerships (PPP) carried out in the past decade, and advising project companies during construction and maintenance period.*
*prior to joining Borenius
- Partner, Borenius 2023–
- Partner, Merilampi 2017–2023
- Counsel, Castrén & Snellman, 2009–2016
- RIL Conciliation Ltd., 2007–2009
- NCC Construction Ltd., 2004–2009
- Bar admission, 2014, Helsinki, Finland
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), 2010, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Master of Science (Construction Economics and Management), 2007, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland
- Finnish, English, Swedish, German