Environment & Natural Resources
Environmental compliance and liability issues can have a significant impact on the feasibility and reputation of industrial and commercial operations. Regulations may trigger the need for major investments or even invalidate business opportunities. Larger projects with intensive land use trigger a number of regulatory procedures which need to be carefully planned in advance in order not to create bottle necks for the projects.
In recent years, the exploration and mining industry in particular has been growing in Finland and the Nordics with several larger mines being licensed and constructed. The forestry and forest industry is one of the important industries in Finland, which have been introducing new technologies and innovations to improve their competitiveness and material efficiency.
Borenius’ environmental and natural resources practice is one of the leading practices on the market. It delivers the combined legal experience of a multidisciplinary team of lawyers, together with an in-depth understanding of the various aspects of the industry sectors and natural resources projects.
Borenius’ environmental & natural resources team advises on a wide range of issues for environment and natural resources clients, including:
- Strategic project planning
- Joint Ventures
- Legal Environmental Due Diligence
- Natural resources related transactions
- Zoning and expropriation
- Nature conservation
- Building heritage conservation
- Environmental liability (including soil and groundwater contamination issues)
- Chemical regulation
- Renewable energy and biofuels regulation
- Mining licensing and regulation
- Social licensing and corporate responsibility related advise
Our team is supported by specialists in various areas of the firm, including energy and infrastructure, real estate, tax, corporate advisory, antitrust and employment law.
Our clients include domestic and foreign industrial companies, a large representation of major exploration and mining companies, forest industry, chemical industry, metals industry companies, waste and recycling as well as energy companies.
Borenius is ranked as a top tier law firm for environmental and natural resources matters and has acted as an adviser to many of the most challenging projects, in terms of environmental regulation in the market to date. In the field of natural resources, we have been actively involved in the formation of the new mining legislation and have successfully assisted clients in several land mark cases e.g. relating to the acquisition of Finnish projects and operations, restructuring cases, security of tenure, taxation of natural resources and different aspects of financial assurance.
Our experts are always ready to assist you. See all of our Environment & Natural Resources references here.
Latest references & news
- Government Proposes Amendments to the 2011 Mining Act – What Will Be Reformed?
- The Finnish Government Proposes the Fast-tracking of Green Transition Investments
- Borenius Ranked as a Top-Tier Firm in The Legal 500 EMEA 2022 Edition
- Proposed Directive on Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence – Large Businesses Subject to Value Chain Due Diligence