Restructuring & Insolvency
Borenius’ Restructuring & Insolvency practice advises management, shareholders, creditors, and other parties when companies are unable to fulfil their financial and contractual obligations or need to adapt to change. Insolvency work has been a cornerstone of our service offering since the 1990s. Together with our prestigious Banking and Finance and Capital Markets & Public M&A teams, our services extend to every aspect of capital structure and financial restructuring.
We have practical experience in guiding our clients through comprehensive consensual restructurings, workouts and debt arrangements. Our lawyers have acted as trustees and administrators in Finland’s largest bankruptcies and corporate restructurings and we have been involved in multiple insolvency related Supreme Court decisions. These landmark cases are the foundation of our reputation in restructuring and insolvency.
We have an extensive track record of advising companies and institutional investors on formal and out-of-court restructurings, cross-border restructurings and insolvencies. In addition, we handle all aspects of rescue financing as well as distressed and special situations and distressed acquisitions and sales. Our clients also turn to us for advice on official and informal creditors’ committees and financing and strategic transactions, such as bond restructurings. We work together with all of our practices in order to help achieve the best possible outcome and create pioneering solutions in complex and unchartered situations.
Our services include:
- administration of bankruptcies and corporate reorganisations;
- debt restructuring, rescheduling and structuring of large scale out-of-court restructurings;
- advice relating to insolvency issues, such as debt-to-equity swaps;
- advice in voluntary arrangements and work outs;
- advising management, board members and shareholders in (pre and post) insolvency situations;
- litigation and procedural issues such as claw-back of transactions or payment of dividend;
- dissolution of companies;
- making investments into and buying companies in restructuring proceedings;
- buying assets from distressed sellers and bankruptcy estates; and
- disclosure and other securities law advise for distressed public companies.
Insolvency legislation in Finland provides for two alternative official processes: bankruptcy and corporate restructuring, which have completely separate proceedings. Many restructuring and insolvency situations call for complex legal and financial thinking and entail risks for the parties involved. A number of these cases have a sizeable cross-border element. Expert advice from our lawyers that are experienced in both in and out of court proceedings is essential. Our experienced professionals are renown for providing bold and pragmatic, business-focused advice and real commercial results to our clients.
Our experts are always ready to assist you. See all of our Restructuring & Insolvency references here.
Latest references & news
- Important Decision by the Supreme Court – Damages to be Paid for Terminating Subtenancy Agreement in Restructuring Proceedings Treated as a Restructuring Debt
- Helsinki Court of Appeal’s judgment – Can customary payments be reversed to the bankruptcy estate?
- Borenius advised the State of Finland’s EUR 2.35 billion bridge financing for Fortum
- Borenius Partner Recognised in the Restructuring & Insolvency 2022 Edition of Who’s Who Legal